Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad, India
B.S., Civil Engineering
University of Maryland, College Park, USA
M.S., Civil and Environmental Engineering
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland
Ph.D., Environmental Sciences
My students,colleagues, and I use analytical and geochemical tools to understand how some of Earth's surface environments work and what the fate of chemicals is in such environments. We have excellent advanced analytical capabilities within our program, including an ICP-MS, a GC-MS, a TOC-analyzer, an ion chromatograph, a water isotope analyzer, and an accelerated microwave digester. We also have access to an HPLC, an LC-MS, and other instrumentation through our research partners. Our graduate and undergraduate student researchers have complete access to the instrumentation and usually help in maintaining the instrumentation.
GEOL 101: Dynamic Earth
GEOL 103: Environmental Geology
GEOL 200: Introduction to Environmental Studies
GEOL 250: Introduction to Geochemistry
GEOL 240/395: Water Resources and Pollution Northern India (Study Abroad course with Dr. Tim Callahan)
GEOL 441/EVSS 641: Aqueous Environmental Geochemistry
EVSS 631: Pollution in the Environment
EVSS 639: Wetlands and Watersheds
- Vulava, V., McKay, L., Broholm, M., McCarthy, J., Driese, S., Sayler, G. 2012. Influence of pore structure on dissolution and transport of coal tar compounds in highly fractured clay-rich residuum. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 203–204: 283– 289.
- Callahan, T. J., Vulava, V., Passarello, M., Garrett, C. G. 2011. Estimating groundwater recharge in lowland forested watersheds. Hydrological Processes DOI: 10.1002/hyp.8356.
- C. Guinn Garrett, Vijay M. Vulava, Timothy J. Callahan, and Martin L. Jones. 2011. Groundwater-Surface Water Interactions in a Lowland Watershed: Source Contribution to Stream Flow. Hydrological Processes, DOI: 10.1002/hyp.8257.
- Tithof, P., Richards, S., Elgayyar, M., Menn, F.-M., Vulava, V., McKay, L., Sanseverino, J., Sayler, G., Tucker, D., Leslie, C., Lu, K., Ramos, K. (2010). Activation of group IVC phospholipase A2 by polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons induces apoptosis of human coronary artery endothelial cells. Archives of Toxicology, DOI: 10.1007/s00204-010-0614-9, 1-12.
- Driese, S., Ludvigson, G., Roberts, J., Fowle, D., Gonzalez, L., Smith, J., Vulava, V., McKay, L. (2010). Micromorphology and Stable-Isotope Geochemistry of Historical Pedogenic Siderite Formed in PAH-Contaminated Alluvial Clay Soils, Tennessee, U.S.A. Journal of Sedimentary Research, 80 (11), 943-954.
- V.M. Vulava, L.D. McKay, S.G. Driese, F. Menn, and G.S. Sayler. 2007. Distribution and transport of coal tar-derived PAHs in fine-grained residuum. Chemosphere, 68:554-563. PDF.
M. Lenczewski, L. McKay, A. Pitner, S. Driese, and V. Vulava. 2006. Pure phase transport and dissolution of TCE in sedimentary rock saprolite. Ground Water, 44:406-414. PDF.
J.C. Seaman, V.M. Vulava, A.G. Sowder, B.P. Jackson, S.A. Aburime, and P.M. Bertsch. 2005. Metal extractability from contaminated SRS sediments: Comparison of column and batch results. Environ. Geosci., 12:235-242. PDF.
J.C. Seaman, J. Hutchinson, B.P. Jackson, and V.M. Vulava. 2003. In situ treatment of metals in contaminated soils with phytate. J. Environ. Qual., 32:153-161. PDF.
V.M. Vulava, R. Kretzschmar, K. Barmettler, A. Voegelin, D. Grolimund, and M. Borkovec. 2002. Cation competition in a natural subsurface material: Prediction of transport behavior. Water Resour. Res., 38. DOI:10.1029/2001WR000262. PDF.
V.M. Vulava, E.B. Perry, C.S. Romanek, and J.C. Seaman. 2002. Multiple dissolved gases as partitioning tracers for determination of hydrogeological parameters. Environ. Sci. Technol., 36: 254–262. PDF.
A. Voegelin, V.M. Vulava, and R. Kretzschmar. 2001. A reaction-based model describing competitive sorption and transport of Cd, Zn, and Ni in an acidic soil. Environ. Sci. Technol., 35: 1651–1657. PDF.
V.M. Vulava and J.C. Seaman. 2000. Mobilization of lead from highly weathered porous material by extracting agents. Environ. Sci. Technol., 34: 4828–4834. PDF.
A. Voegelin, V.M. Vulava, F. Kuhnen, and R. Kretzschmar. 2000. Multicomponent transport of major cations predicted from binary sorption experiments. J. Contam. Hydrol., 46:319–338. PDF.
V.M. Vulava, R. Kretzschmar, U. Rusch, D. Grolimund, J.C. Westall, and M. Borkovec. 2000. Cation competition in a natural subsurface material: Modeling of sorption equilibria. Environ. Sci. Technol., 34: 2149–2155. PDF.
- V.M. Vulava, B.R. James, and A. Torrents. 1997. Copper solubility in Myersville B horizon soil in the presence of DTPA. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 61:44–52. PDF.