The Department of Geology and Environmental Geosciences offers a major, minor, and broad array of topical and interdisciplinary elective courses in the geosciences.
Students who complete a bachelor of science or bachelor of arts degree with a major in geology may tailor a program of study to better prepare themselves for a wide variety of career opportunities in:
- Advanced graduate study – Our students have received graduate fellowships from universities throughout the U.S.
- Industry and government using geospatial technologies
- Environmental consulting firms and state or federal environmental regulatory agencies and hazard mitigation
- Interdisciplinary careers such as oceanography, national intelligence, and resource management
Major and Minor Requirements
How to Declare Your Major or Minor
Ready to choose geology as a major or minor? Here's what you need to do:
- Go to the Program of Study Management (POSM) page
- Declare your major or minor in geology
- The department will review your request and contact you about setting up an appointment to speak with an advisor about your class plan
- Be sure to keep checking your email once you submit a major or minor request because that's how we'll reach you to confirm your request